My teaching interests include calculus, ordinary differential equations, dynamical systems, mathematical biology, partial differential equations, and complex analysis. Working with HMC students we have developed several physical demos to illustrate mathematical concepts.
I’ve written and collaborated on a few articles related to teaching mathematics (* denotes HMC student coauthor):
- C. Beightol* and J. Jacobsen, A Pound of Knowledge: Polanyi’s Tacit Dimension and Inclusive Pedagogy, in preparation
- J. Jacobsen, Teaching from the Unknown, Journal of Humanistic Mathematics, Volume 11, Issue 1, January 2021
- K. Louie and J. Jacobsen, A Complex Recipe for Rich Roll Cookies, Math Horizons, 27(4), p. 34, April 2020
- J. Jacobsen, Selling Mathematics: Service & Quality, Journal of Humanistic Mathematics, Volume 3 Issue 2 (July 2013), pages 127-130.
- G. Campbell, J. Jacobsen, A, Johnson and M. Orrison, The Art of Teaching Mathematics, MAA FOCUS 28.1 (2008): 10-11.
- J. Jacobsen and M. Orrison, Looking Beyond the Curriculum in Jamaica, FOCUS, 25.9 (2005): 8.
- The Tacit Dimension, M. Polanyi
- For White Folks Who Teach in The Hood… And The Rest of Y’All Too, Reality Pedagogy and Urban Education, C. Emdin
- Mathematics for Human Flourishing, F Su
- How to Solve It: A New Aspect of Mathematical Method, G. Polya