Tenure-Track Faculty Position
Department of Mathematics, Harvey Mudd College
Harvey Mudd College invites applications for a tenure-track position in mathematics, beginning Fall 2023, at the assistant professor level. All areas in the mathematical sciences will be considered, with preference given to candidates who can significantly contribute to our course offerings and departmental vision for data science and statistics at a liberal arts college of science, engineering, and mathematics. The Department of Mathematics has a strong commitment to building a welcoming and inclusive department and campus environment.
The successful candidate will have a Ph.D. by the time of appointment, demonstrated commitment to and excellence in teaching undergraduates, and a strong independent research program that can contribute to our many undergraduate research activities, which include summer research, senior thesis, and math-in-industry senior capstone projects. Harvey Mudd College is committed to broadening participation in STEM fields. Therefore, experience with or demonstrated ability to teach, mentor, and support students from historically underrepresented groups in STEM is among the criteria for appointment.
Harvey Mudd College is a highly selective liberal arts college of science, engineering, and mathematics. It is located in Claremont, CA, which is approximately 35 miles east of Los Angeles, at the base of the San Gabriel Mountains. The college enrolls about 900 students, almost all of whom live on campus, and is a member of The Claremont Colleges, a consortium of seven independent institutions that includes Pomona College, Claremont McKenna College, Pitzer College, Scripps College, Claremont Graduate University, and Keck Graduate Institute. Harvey Mudd College is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the recruitment of candidates historically underrepresented on college faculties.
The Department of Mathematics at Harvey Mudd College is recognized as a leader in teaching, research, undergraduate research mentoring, and educational outreach. Each year there are about 80 graduates in the mathematical sciences. The teaching load is five courses per year, which includes research supervision. All faculty at Harvey Mudd College contribute to the Core Curriculum, which includes a first-year course in academic writing as well as a course centered on the relationships between science and society. Further information about the college and the department can be found at http://www.hmc.edu/ and https://www.hmc.edu/mathematics/.
Applications must be submitted through the MathJobs.org website and will be accepted until the position is filled. Submit your application by November 1, 2022 to receive full consideration. Your complete application will include:
- A cover letter, in which you are highly encouraged to address your interest in the liberal arts and Harvey Mudd College in particular, and how you envision your research and teaching interests contributing to the department and College.
- A current curriculum vitae.
- A statement about your research program, including potential research projects for undergraduates (typically 2-3 pages).
- A statement about your teaching philosophy, including principles, practices, or experiences that inform the way you teach (typically 1-2 pages).
- A statement about diversity and inclusion that describes your interests, experiences, and future plans for promoting diversity and inclusion in the mathematical sciences (typically 1-2 pages).
- At least three letters of recommendation. At least one letter should specifically address teaching.
For further information or questions about the position contact:
Prof. Darryl Yong (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Chair, Tenure-Track Search Committee,
Department of Mathematics,
Harvey Mudd College
Claremont, CA 91711
MathJobs link: https://www.mathjobs.org/jobs/list/20358
Harvey Mudd College is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to providing a workplace free of discrimination, harassment, and disrespectful or other unprofessional conduct (HMC EEO/Nondiscrimination Statement).